What are the options in case an inhaler is very difficult to use? Many patients struggle with inhaler technique, or carers are frustrated when their loved ones cannot use their prescribed inhalers.
There are a few things which usually help:
- demonstrating the inhaler technique again
- have patience as some people learn how to use inhalers faster than others
- switching to a different inhaler device (there are many inhalers containing similar medication but in different devices)
- using a spacer device for the “puffer” MDI inhalers
- using a nebulizer which produces an aerosol
- discussing with your doctor whether the inhaler is really necessary or whether other treatments should be considered